Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Red Iguana 2 (4 out of 5 Taco Rating)


   Red Iguana has been a big hit in Salt Lake, to the point that they opened a second (near the first) location. If you've ever been to either Red Iguana for dinner, you are usually confronted with an hour+ wait time! They are known for their tasty Mexican dishes, and also known for their diverse and varied array of moles ("moll-ehs") with which they dress most of their food.
    As a Taco Tuesday group we have been meaning to come out to Red Iguana for a long time, but have not been able to make it... until now!




Dallin

Allan: Alright, I am here with Dallin tonight. What'd you get here dude?
Dallin: I got the 2 Carne Asada Burritos smothered with poblano mole sauce. 
Allan: Yummy, how was it?
Dallin: It was delicious. I've never had mole before, ever, so it's a good introduction to mole. Sweet but not too sweet, compliments the burrito really well, just awesome!

Allan: Anything else that stood out or is it pretty straightforward?
Dallin: It's pretty straightforward, I like that they put rice in the burritos. The steak was really good, it wasn't like cheap, shreded steak filler, it was all-around really good. 
Allan: Cool, what would you rate your food?
Dallin: I'm gonna give it 4 out of 5




Julia

Allan: Jules--who I am with here tonight--with Taco Tuesday Reviews, how are you Jules?
Julia: I am fabulous.
Allan: Cool, what'd you get here tonight?

Julia: I got the sour cream chicken enchiladas, I've never had them before--it's really good, it's not heavy. I did change them though, they're called Enchiladas Verdes on the menu, but it was supposed to have a mole verde sauce on it and I test tasted it--didn't love it, so I had them put on a traditional enchilada sauce instead. 

Allan: Okay, how'd it all work out?
Julia: Really good! I like it a lot. [I'd give it 4 tacos].




Jolene

Allan: Jolene, how are you doing tonight? What'd you get here tonight?

Jolene: So this is not on the menu, but I asked for a veggie burrito. They had a veggie chimichanga, so I figured they had a veggie burrito. [I had it] smothered in coloradito [mole]. It's very good, I haven't had this before, I've had the mole before, but not this combination. I think it's really good, but I have to say that I feel it needs some texture, because the veggies are all really soft. Like maybe even some rice--so it's like just a little texture--it's all a little mushy. Delicious, but mushy. I'm gonna give it a 4 and a half tacos.




Kevin

Curtis: Kevin, what'd you get tonight?
Kevin: Killer Nachos.
Curtis: Cool, how were they?

Kevin: Killer. 
Curtis: Sweet. What would you rate them?
Kevin: I'd give them a 4.




Curtis

Julia: Hi Curtis, how was your meal today? What'd you get?
Curtis: I got the same thing as Matt and Dallin, which is the 2 Carne Asada Burritos smothered in poblamo mole, it's really good. 
Julia: Good, good. Is there anything that stood out to you? 
Curtis: The whole thing was really good, I wish I would have tried the green [mole]--but next time!
Julia: Okay, and what would you rate your meal tonight Curtis?
Curtis: I would give it a 3 and a half.




Matt Baugh

Allan: I'm here with Matt on Taco Tuesday. Okay Matt, what are you doing here Matt, it looks like you haven't even touched your food.

Matt: I haven't touched it for a reason. This is my favorite thing in the world and I suggested [it] to Curtis and Dallin, and they will give you good reviews. So what I'm doing with this: I am taking this in a to go bag, and I'm taking it to Jolene's house--and what I'm going to do it take it home and fry an egg on it. Here's the thing, YouTube should know this. Listen world, listen Red Iguana 2, if you wanna make this better, I'll tell you how: you fry a couple of eggs and throw them on top of it and it will be instantly better. 
   So here's how. I like it over-medium, so you got a little bit of yoke. Unlike my father, I like a little burnt pieces with a little butter, salt. So that's what I'm doing with this. This is my favorite thing in the world. My birthday's coming up and I'm gonna come here, because I love Red Iguana. 

Allan: How would you rate your food?
Matt: Oh, 5 out of 5, absolutely.




Allan

Emily: Hi I'm here with Allan for Taco Tuesday Reviews, Allan what did you get?
Allan: I got the same thing that you did Emily, it was the Enchiladas Suizas.
Emily: Did you get the corn tortillas with it? Or did you switch them up?

Allan: I just got what the menu said, so... the corn tortillas. It had shredded chicken in it, guacamole, sour cream, and the smothered this poblano mole over the top of it. I went into this expecting a different flavor, which is a mistake. What you do is get rid of any expectations of what it's gonna taste like, take a bite and just let it sit and just think about it. After doing that, it was a really enjoyable experience. Very sweet taste with everything mixed together, it just came together very nicely. 

Emily: Good, what was your favorite part?
Allan: Eating it. I'd probably give this a 4 and half out of 5 tacos. 




   As you can see by the different dishes that were eaten here, the moles play a big part of each of the meals. If you haven't been here before (or even if you have) you can ask your waiter to give you a mole sample plate so you can see which ones you might like to try with your meal, this was a very good choice because it sold most of us on the moles that came with each of our respective meals. Of which, some of the best were:

-The 2 Carne Asada Burritos smothered in poblano mole (and in Matt's case, taken home to fry an egg or two on top).
-The Killer Nachos
-The Enchiladas Suizas
and
-The Veggie Burrito (which would have a better texture if rice were added to it). Bear in mind that this is not on the menu, but was a special request.

   If any of you noticed, the top meals were basically all the meals consumed this time, that's because Red Iguana does pretty good job of making good food! So if you want something a little different than the food you might get at La Luna, try Red Iguana and try the moles! One thing that Jules and Kevin got (and shared with everyone else) was this deep fried dough with cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top, with whipped cream on the plate to spread on it. Don't remember what it was called, but when you're done with your meal GET IT
   This time our group's overall rating comes to 4 tacos out of 5.




No comments:

Post a Comment