Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Asian Star Part II (Midvale)

Asian Star PART II
    If there is one genre of food that this group is most picky about, it's definitely Chinese food. Especially for some of our group who had an experience at a Chinese restaurant where, as they were entering, they also people carrying out a dead person of the restaurant (this really happened--needless to say, they were sick later that night). This is just one of many instances that keep us on our toes when it comes to Chinese.
   The Asian Star has usually treated our stomachs very well, which is why when it comes time to eat some Chinese (which they also some Mongolian, Cantonese and Mandarin as well), this is the place we usually turn to. So come, let us see what experiences we got from this trip in this weeks review:





Lettuce Wrap App
Cashew Stir Fry with Pork
Danielle

Allan: Danielle, so what did you get today?

Danielle: So I got a half order of the Lettuce Wraps for an appetizer, and then I got the Cashew Stir Fry with Pork.


Allan: Okay. Did you want to review them [separately]? Or altogether?

Danielle: Probably just all together, 'cause it'll be the same. The lettuce wraps were really good, I like them a lot, I feel like I've had better. But I still really, really like them enough to get them when I'm here. And then the Cashew Stir Fry comes with zucchini, celery, carrots and I think that's it. It's all just tossed in this.... sweet sauce--I don't know what it is. But it's really good, and it's the first thing that I got when I [first] came here, and I've had it like three times, and I always get it and it's yummy.


Allan: Alright. Anything else you wanted to add?

Danielle: Oh, the lettuce wraps have like a beef center, that's the kind of meat it comes with.


Allan: Ah... Okay. What would you rate your [meal]?

Danielle: I think I would rate them at... I don't know. See, here's the problem, listen: previously I would have given the Cashew Stir Fry like a four/four and a half. But I had [some] of Allan's Honey--... Whatever he got--that he'll tell you about in his [review]--and that's just, like stellar. And compared to that, this is not even.... I'm just saying that my opinion has changed because I have been exposed to a bigger palate of flavors. I give them a 3.







Marc


Anthony: Marc. What'd you get?
Marc: It's like ramen noodles.

Anthony: What's it called?

Marc: Beef and Broccoli on Pan Fried Noodles.

Anthony: Tell us about it.
Marc: It's like ramen noodles.

Anthony: Alright. Ramen noodles with broccoli and meat on top?

Marc: Yup.

Anthony: You have rice on the side?

Marc: Yup.

Anthony: You like it?

Marc: Yeah, it's okay.

Anthony: What'd you do to top off your meal to make it better?

Marc: I put sweet and sour on it.

Anthony: Sweet and sour? Sweet. Would you get it again?

Marc: Hmmmm, I don't like the crunchy parts of it.

Anthony: So it's crunchy noodles.

Marc: Yup.

Anthony: So it's like uncooked ramen noodles?

Marc: Yeah.

Anthony: That's weird. How many tacos, out of five, would you rate it?

Marc: 2 and a half.





Anthony
Pot Stickers
Broccoli with Beef Stir Fry
Allan: Anthony, what did you get this evening?

Anthony: I got the Pot Stickers as the appetizer, and Broccoli Stir Fry as my main entree.

Allan: What kind of meat did you get with the Broccoli Stir Fry?

Anthony: Beef, it's what's for dinner.

Allan: How was it? Is there anything that stood out?

Anthony: The beef was pretty good, and the broccoli I love. So it came with beef, broccoli, fried shrimp, an eggroll, two cream cheese wantons and then fried rice. Wontons are always good, they always stick out to me. The meal was pretty good--the only thing that affects my rating is I felt like the food was sitting out for a little bit before they brought it out to me, because the shrimp tasted old/cold, and so did the rice. So out of 5 tacos I give it 3 and a half.








Dallin
Danielle: Dallin, tell us what you got and how you liked it, and rate it and such.

Dallin: I got the Honey Walnut Shrimp with lettuce wraps for appetizers. The shrimp were huge--that's my favorite part about it, and they were sweet and tasty. Lettuce wraps are amazing here, the rice is okay--I hate the spring roll, I hate those things with a passion. This is one of my favorite restaurants, I always come here, I love it every time I come here. I'll give it 4 out of 5 tacos.









Emily
Dallin: Okay, I'm here with Emily LaBrum of the Taco Tuesday group. So what'd you get Asian Star?
Emily: General Tao's chicken [with] lettuce wraps. 

Dallin: What else?
Emily: And spring rolls, and pepsi, and egg drop soup.

Dallin: And what's your favorite part of this giant meal?
Emily: The lettuce wraps.

Dallin: Why are the lettuce wraps your favorite part?
Emily: Because it's healthy.

Dallin: What make's it healthy?
Emily: Lettuce.

Dallin: Lettuce. There you have it. Okay, out of 5 tacos how many tacos will you give this Chinese food?
Emily:  I give it 4 [tacos].








Josh
Josh... In the middle of a "nam flashback
Danielle: Josh, what'd you get?
Josh: I got the Sesame Chicken and lettuce wraps.

Danielle: Yes, tell us how you liked it.
Josh: I come here all the time and it's my favorite. The chicken is really good and the food is plentiful. And the lettuce wraps--I got those for the first time and they were really, really good; very crunchy and delicious. So the only thing I don't really care for is the soup--it's okay--I eat it because it's there. So yeah, I give it 5 out of 5 tacos because I love this place.








Kira
Josh: Okay Kira, what'd you get? And what'd you think about it?
Kira: I got the Sesame Chicken Platter and lettuce wraps as well for an appetizer, and it was really good!

Josh: What part of your meal did you like best?
Kira: The lettuce wraps.

Josh: Why the lettuce wraps?
Kira: The extra sauce that you [can] put on top was really good--it made it a little bit different than some of the lettuce wraps I've had before, so I really enjoyed it. 

Josh: And how many tacos do you give it out of 5?
Kira: I'm gonna give it 5.

Josh: Cool.








Kevin
Curtis: (Singing Taco Tuesday intro music). Kevin, hey buddy, how was your meal? What'd you get?
Kevin: (-Barely intelligible-) 

Curtis: "I'll translate: He got the dinner platter with the Sweet and Sour Chicken." How was it?
Kevin: (-Slightly intelligible-)

Curtis: He said it was "Alright." How many tacos would you give it Kevin?
Kevin:  I would probably give it 3 and a half tacos.
Curtis: Thank you.








Ashlee
Kevin: Ashlee, what did you have?
Ashlee: I had the Tangerine Chicken.

Kevin: How was it?
Ashlee: It was good, I liked it. 

Kevin: Why?
Ashlee: Because it was really good. It tasted good, there was lots of food. 

Kevin: That is good. Out of 5 tacos what would you give it?
Ashlee: Rating. I give it 4 tacos.
Kevin: Thank you Ashlee, thank you, thank you.








Curtis
Jules: I'm interviewing Curtis, he's my hostage here, his words are hostage to me. What did you order?
Curtis: I got the Tangerine Chicken--spicy. 

Jules: And how was your Tangerine Chicken?
Curtis: It was good. I really liked the red sauce that was on there--it was really good, I liked it a lot. And the vegetables that came with it were really good also.  

Jules: What kind of vegetables did you have? Like a medley of vegetables? Or just broccoli?
Curtis: I had mainly peppers on there, just because I ordered it "spicy." And so I guess they thought maybe they should just put peppers on there, but some of them were really stale and oddly cooked. It--it was alright. 

Jules: And was it spicy?
Curtis: No, not really.

Jules: And what did you have for dessert?
Curtis: No dessert, but I give this 3 and a half tacos.
Jules: Alright, with 3 and a half tacos we end this hostage transmission.








Miranda
Curtis: (-Taco Tuesday into music-) Taco Tuesday Reviews, I'm Curtis with Miranda. Miranda, what'd you get today?
Miranda: I got the Vegas Roll 

Curtis: The Vegas Roll--Sushi. And how was it?
Miranda: It was really good. But it was a little cold.

Curtis: A little cold. Did that ruin the whole thing for you?
Miranda: No, I'd rather have it cold. 

Curtis: Okay. So anything special about it? And what would you give it out of 5 tacos?
Miranda: 3 and a half.








Allan
Danielle: Allan, I was super jealous of your meal. Tell us about it.

Allan: I got the Honey Nectar Pork. [I've] thought about getting it before, but I decided to finally go ahead and do it this time. And it was pretty good, I mean it was literally a honey sauce they coated the chicken with.

Danielle: The tagline lies, because it says "Sweet and Sour," but it's definitely not sweet and sour.

Allan: Yeah, nothing on the plate had a sweet and sour kick to it. It came with brown rice, two wontons, a spring roll and a shrimp, fried-thing. But yeah, there wasn't anything sweet and sour about it at all, it tasted really good. I usually like rolling the chicken in the rice that comes with it. And there was a soup I got before that--I don't want to even bother reviewing that, I mean, it was kind of, eh... so-so. I think a lot of the soups we got here tonight weren't that impressive. Meals were all pretty good. I think that I would probably rate my food at 4 tacos.

Danielle: I give his chicken 5 tacos. Just the chicken, I don't know about the rest of it. 









   There were quite a few interesting ups and downs in this visit. From listening to everyone's review on their food, it sounds like the reason this visit didn't get a higher rating was because some of the food came out cold. Which could be chalked up to the fact that we had about 13 people in attendance this time. Still, even with the food not being the best this time around, I have no doubt that if we feel the need for some Chinese, this will be the place we would come back to. 
   If you do decide to visit the Asian Star, be sure to get Lettuce Wraps with sauce on the side for an appetizer (and don't confuse the sauce for a soup, you will be laughed at). As far as food goes try the Honey Nectar Pork or the Sesame Chicken. Although, your probably pretty safe (as far as good tasting food goes) picking just about anything on the menu. With everyone's ratings for this visit, the average comes out to about 4 tacos:






The Asian Star Menu can be found HERE





But wait! There's more to this blog this time:

"Taco Tuesday Reviews"

  Feel inspired to write about an experience you had? Then look no more! You can give your own feedback on TacoTuesdayReviews.com! It's a place where you can write a review about anything you want: good food, bad food, dog food. Good jobs, bad jobs, high-income jobs. Cats, lawnmowers, race cars--maybe you can even write a review about cats racing lawnmowers?.... I'd read that. But you get the idea.
    Right now we are trying to collect as many reviews as we can so that we can showcase your review when the site fully launches in September! So check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment